September 22, 2019

Principal Introduction

Dear Parent/Carer

I am pleased to introduce myself as the new Principal at DSTC. As you can imagine, there are a number of items I need to clarify with you at the start of the new term. I apologise for this necessary influx of letters, I hope you will understand the need for them at this time and will find them helpful.

I have added links to the following letters, for your information, below:

• A letter from the Chair of Governors.
  • A letter giving details of upcoming meetings for parents.
  • A letter inviting you to stand for election as a Parent Governor.
  • A letter regarding PE kit.

The school is open to students from 8am and not before- the pupil entrance will no longer open before this time. This is to ensure that no girl is inside the building alone and unsupervised.

I would also like to draw your attention to the uniform expectation for DSTC girls. Our uniform list can be downloaded, along with the other letters, below. For your information, I can assure you that I am not planning to change the uniform but I do expect the girls to wear the correct uniform and wear it with pride. Uniforms exist to ensure that the focus in school is on learning and not on fashion or designer labels. In particular,I will be focussing on the following aspects of uniform:

• Blazers are to be worn at all times with sleeves full length (not rolled up).
  • Jumpers are optional- if a jumper is worn it must be under a blazer, not instead of a blazer.
  • Skirts are to be knee length and not rolled up.
  • Ties- we must be able to see 5 sets of parallel gold lines, this will ensure that the tie is the correct length.
  • Plain flat-heeled black shoes must be worn.
  • Socks must be plain black or white. Tights must be plain black.
  • No nail varnish may be worn. No acrylic nails may be worn.
  • No make-up may be worn in Years 7-9, discreet make-up may be worn in Years 10-11 (if we can see it, it is not discreet).
  • Jewellery- a watch and small plain ear studs may be worn (one in each ear)- no other jewellery (including bracelets, nose studs or other facial piercings) may be worn.
  • Hair must be smart and of a natural colour throughout its length.

I have spoken to the girls about this in assembly and I very much appreciate your support in ensuring that they adhere to these rules. I believe wearing the correct uniform helps the girls to feel that they belong to our community and that if they look smart, they will think smart.

I hope to meet you all at one of the upcoming events in the near future.
Yours sincerely
Mrs Anne Davis
Principal

* DSTC Uniform List
* Letter from the Chair of Governors
* Parent Information Evenings
* Election of Parent Governor
* DSTC PE Kit