Please see attached a small change to the advertised Applied Science Course.
National Extended Certificate in Applied Science
This is the equivalent in size to 1 A Level. There are 4 units of which 3 are mandatory with 1 optional unit.
The mandatory units are:
- Principles and Applications of Science.
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques.
- Science Investigation Skills.
The optional units are: (choice of 1)
- Physiology of Human Body Systems
- Human Regulation and Reproduction
- Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Diseases and Infections
- Applications of Inorganic Chemistry
- Applications of Organic Chemistry
- Electrical Circuits and their Application
- Astronomy and Space Science
Assessment. This is comprised of internally assessed assignments, set practical tasks assessed externally and a written exam assessed externally.
Mandatory content (83%).
External assessment (58%).
Who is this course for?
Designed for learners who are interested in learning about the sector alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses, not necessarily in applied science. To be taken as part of a programme of study that includes other appropriate BTEC Nationals or A Levels.
- 5 GCSE A* to C. Including English and Maths.
- Triple Science A* to C. or Additional Science A* to B.
- BTEC Science Level 2. Distinction or Merit.