KS3 Careers (Years 7, 8 and 9)
Children can have careers aspiration early on in their lives, so it is important to support them. At DSTC, we engage students with career and future-aspiration learning from the first year at school.
We have a number of excellent partnerships and affiliates who we work with to deliver early careers advice. Key Stage 3 careers advice comprises of several layers:
1) Career-based learning in ICE
Individual Character Education lessons off students the opportunity to learn about skills and information relating to future careers. This ranges from learning about volunteering and service-industries, to managing budgets and developing skills for the workplace
2) Employer encounters
During a given academic year, the careers team plan and deliver several "drop-down" days dedicated to career exploration. This has included:
- STEM Careers focus day, meeting employers from Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths
- Uniform Careers focus day, inviting teams from the police, NHS, army and fire brigade to run detailed workshops about service industries
- Education Careers focus day, with teachers and providers from other schools offering an insight in to their daily routine working in schools and colleges.
- University of Kent Outreach day, proving Year 9 students with early post-16 information to support options choices
- Alumni assemblies, inviting past-DSTC students back to tell their stories about paths to career success